• 27Jan

    After almost 24 hours in airplanes and airports I’ve finally arrived in Kunming again.  My first flight was great.  I was able to watch 5 movies (500 Days of Summer, Extract, Julie and Julia, The Informant!, and Inglorious Bastards) and 3 TV show episodes.  It was very nice to be entertained the whole flight.  I think that airplane food gets a bad wrap because I actually find it to be alright.  It’s definitely nothing special but it’s not the worst food either.  I had salmon over mashed potatoes with a mango salsa thing.  There was a seafood salad and a cheesecake like thing for dessert.  For breakfast they gave us a breakfast croissant sandwich thing with fruit, yogurt and some orange juice.  I arrived in Hong Kong for a layover (3+ hours) and was pleasantly surprised that I didn’t have to go through customs in Hong Kong.  I guess their airport is designed to allow you to just pass through without actually leaving the airport.  It was nice to get to stretch my legs for a bit and be in a non-confined space.  My next flight was a 2.5 hour flight to Kunming.  Everything went well in that flight until the descent.  For whatever reason the pilot kept doing those drastic dips to lower in altitude so much so that it makes you feel like your stomach drops.  I’m usually ok with it for the first 2-3 times but after about 5 of them I started to feel sick.  I started to get really worried that I was going to get really sick and was hoping that I’d start to feel us land on the ground soon.  A few more dips later we landed.  Thank goodness.  I’m not sure I could have gone even just one more.  Immigration was a breeze and was welcomed by Pam, Xiao Lu and Ruth in the pick up area.

    We headed straight to my new apartment to drop off my bags.  It was pretty funny when we arrived Xiao Lu put in the key to get into the building and snapped the key in half!!  So now we had no way of getting into the building.  We tried to call different apartments for them to buzz us in but no one was answering.  Luckily Ruth spotted someone on their balcony and kindly asked for them to let us in.  Just when I thought that was going to be the hardest part… I find out that the apartment is on the 7th floor… with no elevator.  I sure regretted packing as much stuff as possible into my bags at that point.  The girls combined forced on one of the bags and I treked up the stairs with the other.  The apartment is great.  It’s a good size with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (one western and one eastern).  The kitchen is kinda small but the dining/living room area is actually quite large.  I’ll post some pictures once I take them.

    After dropping off the bags I then headed to the police station to register my presence and then went over to Pam’s for dinner and to stay the night (until I can get my new place furnished).  I had a great dinner (cooked by Pam and Susanna) and went to bed around 9:30.  I woke up around 7ish and was pretty well rested.  It sure is dark here at 7!  When I first woke up I thought that it was only like 3 or 4.  The sun didn’t really come up until around 8ish.  I find that really nice!  No bright sun waking you up before you want to.

    This morning I came over to the girl’s office to hang out.  We had a great lunch!  Dumpling Soup, Fried Dumplings and some Baos (bun/bread things with meat inside).  It was pretty much super fantastic.  All three of us had soup and we shared 10 dumplings and 10 baos all for 16 Yuan or just under $3 total.  How awesome is that?

    This afternoon starts the quest to furnish my apartment with the necessities and slowly acquire the rest.

    Just a note Facebook doesn’t work over here so this is going to be the best way to contact me or by sending me emails at lrorex@gmail.com.  I hope to hear from you soon!

    Posted by LupLup @ 10:58 pm

4 Responses