• 30Sep

    … that super cute quote is from my old housemate ,Lisa, last night.

    So I lied when I said that the next post would come from Wenshan, because here I am in Kunming writing to all you again!  It hardly seems like it’s been 3 and a half weeks since my last post!  So much has happened that it could have been a year and at the same time it feels like it’s only been a week or so!

    Let’s see… where to begin.

    September 10th I made my move down to Wenshan.  Savana (my new housemate) and I packed… more like stuffed… a van full of our stuff and made the trip down to Wenshan.  We took: a piano, 2 boxes of foam flooring mats, a bike, a 5 foot tall physical therapy ladder thing, 4 very large suitcases/duffels, odds and ends and 3 passengers, all in a van smaller than a Dodge Caravan.


    You can see the two boxes of floor foam things at the bottom there, the piano base on the right, the driver is pushing in the rehab ladder thing…


    A view from the side door.  Where you can see the bike, some of the big bags, the ladder thing again and then Savana’s seat!

    Usually moving in itself is the crazy part of it all… but seriously everyday after the move was just packed with busy!

    Day 1: Once in Wenshan, we unpacked our stuff and then we were rushed off to the house of one of the families from the rehab center.  It was a good night of getting to see a lot of the kids and their families again, but boy it was tiring!  After a full morning of packing the car, then a full afternoon in the car, it was tough to spend an evening surrounded by not only Chinese but also the Wenshan dialect!  You never realize how much work it is sometimes to constantly be translating in your head or for other people until you do it when you’re already tired to begin with!  I’ve found that the people that I’m used to being around, speaking and listening in Chinese is not that much work, it’s almost natural.  But even after a long day, sometimes I find it hard to understand all that’s being said by my closest friends.  So after this long day and being surrounded by strangers, I was exhausted.  I slept that night at Pam’s since I still hadn’t bought a bed yet!  I could have easily been sleeping on a cloud instead of the couch because as soon as the light was out I was asleep!

    Day 2:  Sunday didn’t provide much rest though, we had worship and lunch at Pam’s house.  After lunch, Rachel, Savana and I went out shopping for some furniture.  Savana and I needed everything for each of our rooms.  I had remembered a set that I liked the last time I went shopping, so we went to check it out first.  After about an hour of negotiations we finally got to a price that I could agree to.  I bought a bed frame, mattress, wardrobe, dresser with mirror and two night stands.  All matching.  I finally feel like a real adult!  Haha.  It’s my first furniture SET purchase!  I went for decent quality stuff so it should last awhile!  We looked around afterwards for Savana’s stuff but didn’t find anything that she wanted.  We were limited by time as that evening we were off to another dinner engagement, this time with one of the guys (and his family) from the water project (helping the villages dig wells and create water supplies).  So day 2 was almost just as exhausting as day 1!

    Day 3: Monday was a holiday here (Mid-Autumn Festival) so you think that would be a relaxing day… nope.  In the morning Savana, Susanna and I went out to try to find Savana some furniture.  We spent most of the morning shopping but it was a successful trip as she was able to find some stuff that was cheaply priced and not ugly!  (You’d be surprised with how difficult that actually is!)  After shopping it was off to more activities.  The Wenshan team took the opportunity of the holiday to have an activity that we could all participate in together.  We were split into 5 groups and sent out to do a photography scavenger hunt.  We had a list of things that we all had to do in different pictures.  Some were places in Wenshan, others were more generic things like banks, and then others were activities.  It was an afternoon filled with a lot of walking but also a lot of laughing.  Here are some of our shots.


    We all had to be on playground thing, but then we also added in a different category of having a picture where all of our feet were off the ground.  The guy on the right is Xiao Guang, he works on the water team.  His son is in his lap and his wife is on the far left.  Ye Jie is in the middle and is a friend from the local fellowship.  She’s a great help to the Wenshan team as she’s very connected and a true local Weshan-ite so she knows a lot of the “secrets” in town.


    Here we’re making a Chinese character, or rather two.  文山.  That’s Wenshan!  I think we did a pretty good job!  In fact we won the whole competition, by 1 point!  After all the running around we all went to a restaurant and shared our pictures, tallied the points and ate a great meal.  It was a great day to team-build and get to know the city a little bit better but also very exhausting.

    Day 4:  Still no time to sleep in!  Tuesday morning brought 8:30 am devotional at the office.  After our hour plus meeting, Savana and I went to the apartment to be at the apartment when the furniture was delievered.  So we spent most of the day cleaning and organizing the apartment.  After all the furniture was brought and constructed, we went to go buy some of the other appliances that we’d need around the house (like a gas stovetop, a water dispenser).  It took seemingly forever to find a good gas stove top thing!  Then we went and bought some of the little things we’d need around the house like trash cans, towels, toilet paper, etc .  We didn’t get home until around 5 ish!  Pam, Susanna and YunFen all came over for dinner (which they brought over) and to pray over the house.  Hurrah for our first dinner guests!img_0274

    Here we all are!  (Side note: As you can see in the corner my Doug and Karissa magnets are decorating my fridge!  Nicole and family are on the other side.  Any chance I can get a Bryant baby announcement???  I love the pictures on my fridge it gives the house a better home feel!)

    That night Savana and I slept at the new apartment!  I found out really quick that the road that we live next to is very noisy.  It isn’t a very busy road, but it’s a very steep road.  So that means that while the cars that use that road aren’t a lot, they still have to use a lot of gas and energy to make it up the hill.  So with my bedroom window facing the street I get to hear all of the cars using all that extra effort to go up and down the street!  It’s not terribly noisy but it’s not nearly as quiet as my Kunming apartment!

    Day 5: After the first night in the new place, it was back to the office for 8:30 devotional.  Still no time to sleep in!  Savana and I decided to bike to the office.  That hill was really fun to go down!  It took us about 10 minutes to bike down there.  So fast!  Unfortunately, that day I woke up with a bit of a headache and stomach ache.  But I didn’t put much thought into until later.  After our meeting, Savana and I went home to be there for the rest of her furniture that was coming.  I was already feeling pretty queazy and my head was pounding like crazy.  I then realized that I was dehydrated!  I started to think about the past 4 days and how I barely had any liquids!  The bike ride home was now going to be even more interesting.  I made it home just in time for me collapse on the couch and try to drink a ton of water.  I was basically in and out of it for awhile.  With the pounding headache and the nausea, it wasn’t the most ideal afternoon.  But then around 3 I had to go back out and check out a building space for our offices.  There is a really big space available so we had an appointment to go see it.  So I was back out running around.

    The place we looked at was great, but it’s a little expensive.  So we’re right now trying to talk the guy into lowering the price.  It would be place where we could put all the offices, the rehab center and the school!  It would be awesome to have a sense of unity for all the different teams.  So please keep this in your prayers for us!

    Rachel and I bought some groceries then headed home to cook our first meal there.  Too bad I was still feeling all the side effects of dehydration, so all I ate was the soup.  But it was great to have our first cooked meal there together.  It’s been a long time coming trying to move down to Wenshan but that really made it official!

    Day 6:  After drinking plenty of water, I was back to feeling better.  Rachel and I took the bus into work (which only took 25 minutes door to door!) for another 8:30 devo.  Afterwards I decided to head back home and try to rest!  Finally rest!

    Day 8:  We (Pam, Susanna, Rachel, YunFen and a bunch of others) went out to one of the local villages.  Feiyan’s (one of the little girls from the rehab center) family invited to celebrate their village’s “Grass and Cow Festival”.  It involved meeting at the office at 9am (again no sleeping in) and then driving the 1 plus hour to get to the village.  While up there we had 2 meals, saw cow fighting, danced with the villagers, and had an “award ceremony” for the rehab kids (all of the families came too!).  The cow fighting was my favorite part of the day.  The villagers take two cows/bulls and put them in the basketball court area (aka a flat dirt area with no walls or boundaries…)and the two bulls push each other around until one decides to run away.  The one that runs away obviously is the loser.  The villagers heavily bet on the game.  The fun part was watching the cows run away and then watching the villagers run after them.  It took them a good 20-30 minutes after the cow “lost” to finally catch them.

    Day 12-14:  The Wenshan team had a 3 day training/team building “retreat” scheduled.  8:30-about 8:30 we spent at a conference center doing various activities, listening to different speaking topics and just being together with each other.  It was good to be able to spend time with the people who I’ll be seeing a lot more of!  But they were really long days!  Overall I think that it was a good experience.

    Day 18:  Savana and I made our journey back to Kunming.  Saturday is National Day here, but it should be more like National Week.  A lot of business shut down or give holiday time for the whole week next week.  Schools are out too.  So tomorrow I’ll be heading up to DongChuan to go visit with Ruth’s family.

    As you can see it’s been quite a busy 3 weeks!  But with internet now all set up at the Wenshan house and hopefully things slowing down a bit when I get back… then I REALLY can keep up with my updates!

    To reward you for all your reading here are some great China Pictures!


    I kinda agree with the Chinese here in thinking that it couldn’t possibly be called Winnie the POOH, cause that would be gross.  It must be misspelled, but not knowing what REAL spelling must have been, replacing one of the ‘o’s with an ‘t’ only makes sense right?


    So is this phone made in Chino instead of being made in China?  Is it a misspelling too?  Or are they so clever as to know that Chino is Spanish for China and thus it’s name becomes multicultural?  So many questions so few answers!


    Who’s hungry?  What is it you ask?  Are you sure you want to know?  For those that don’t… move along to the next picture…. for those that are curious… last chance to move along.  Here we have some type of hive (the brown thing) where cocoons of the white worm/larvae things (seen in the bowls above) are sold still alive and wiggling.  The hives have “queen bee” like things that apparently are also sold (not so alive).  Sold to do what you ask… are you sure you don’t want to move along?  Lisa (from the quote above) tells me that they just stir-fry it like they would a vegetable and eat it.  She said she liked it.  I usually go with the theory that I would eat anything once… but this is really pushing it.  Luckily I just saw it being sold in the vegetable market and didn’t have to face the decision on whether or not to eat it.


    A less gross picture, but none the less fun.  On the road down to Wenshan I saw this truck.  It was carrying 11, yes 11 of these small mini-truck cars.  The truck did not fit in one lane… and yet when I saw this truck on this trip I thought nothing of it.  It wasn’t until we were behind it for awhile that I remember that this is NOT normal and thus took a picture for all of you to enjoy a little bit of the crazy stuff that they do here.  Someone once told me that you know you’ve been living in China awhile when things like this stop being crazy or weird and start seeming normal.

    I hope the long post made up for the lack of posts for the past 3 weeks plus!

    Things overall are going great here.  Winter is definitely right around the corner as it’s slowly becoming that sad time of the year when I have to put my shorts away and start wearing pants.

    Please keep Lucy in your thoughts as we’re having some trouble getting her a visa for her to come visit the States in December.  We still have a few more things we want to try.  But it’s really becoming a tougher process than we ever expected!

    I’ll be gone for the next week, but hopefully I’ll return fresh with some new pictures and good stories!


    Posted by LupLup @ 5:27 am

5 Responses

  • Robert Says:

    Worm larvae? Ewwww. I’ll stick with chicken embryos, thank you very much.

  • 2 Lups Mom Says:

    Say, you could get tons of pictures/stuff/magnets/whatever if we only had an address for you…yes?

  • Melinda Says:

    I LOVE that I saw this before your mom… hehehehe

  • LupLup Says:

    Thanks for helping my mom to stay on top of things! Can you call her when you see the next post?

  • LupLup Says:

    address on the way soon. Mail in China is not like mail in the States! There are no daily mailmen that put letters, boxes, or junk mail in your mailbox. In fact I’ve even very rarely SEEN mailboxes! As soon as I have one I’ll post it!